We are about to rebuild and renew your museum. Your new ACMI, still housed in our Fed Square home, will look and feel different.
Expect new free exhibition spaces brimming with stories to tell. Immersive experiences and making moments to inspire and delight.
Our free Screen Worlds exhibition has delighted over 4.6 million visitors but it's 10 years old and needs to be updated.
At ACMI, stories are at the heart of what we do. We share stories from Australia and around the globe. We connect through these stories on screen – we laugh, we cry, we feel the thrill and power of stories to change our minds and change our hearts. Help us build your new moving image museum in the heart of Melbourne. With your support, we can keep telling Australian stories in a vibrant world-class museum of the future.
From 24 May 2019 we will begin work on this major redevelopment.
With generous support and investment from the Victorian government, we will reopen mid-2020 with:
- a new free permanent exhibition
- playable and interactive experiences
- state of the art education spaces
- screen industry labs to inspire the next generation
- a media preservation lab to keep our past alive
- our cinemas presenting the very best of screen culture from Australia and around the world
- a contemporary café and bar
- a revitalised shop devoted to art and culture
- groundbreaking technology allowing you to take your favourite bits of ACMI home
We will close on 24 May to undergo this major redevelopment.
We can’t wait to welcome you our brand new home, but until then, you can enjoy our programs at our off-site locations, Capitol Theatre and Treasury Theatre. Help us re/imagine our story and re/build your new moving image museum. Show your support for ACMI Re/new by making a donation.