The Pettibone Mfg. Co. (Cincinatti, Ohio) patented this striking magic lantern with revolving disc in 1888 for use primarily in fraternal society lodges.
The revolving disc that holds 10 small circular discs of glass with brightly coloured pictures gave this version its popular nickname of the “peacock”, because of the resemblance to a peacock that has fanned out its tail.
The black triangle piece holds the revolving disc and has a click to lock the frames to prevent them from moving when they are projected.
On display until:
ACMI: Gallery 1
16 February 2031
Pettibone Mfg. Co.
400 x 300 x 550mm
The Story of the Moving Image → Moving Pictures → 02. Play and Illusion → MI-02-C01