Explore videogame narrative through interactive fiction
In this short workshop, students are introduced to narrative design concepts for videogames. They'll then plan, write and code their own piece of interactive fiction that utilises branching narrative techniques and game mechanics.
- get an introduction to narrative design and the role of a narrative designer
- apply an understanding of narrative game features to an original work
- look at different types of interactive narrative forms such as linear, branching, as well as features such as gating and variables
- explore the relationship between narrative and game mechanics
- paper prototype their narrative
- use interactive fiction software Twine to produce a playable story level featuring specialised code and prose
This workshop also includes a pre-booked visit to ACMI's new exhibition The Story of the Moving Image.
Monday to Thursday during school terms
10am-1:30pm or 11:15am -12:45pm