Book now, for your visit to The Story of the Moving Image. We offer schools-only visits 10 am – 12 pm on weekdays. This is the best time for large school groups to visit. We welcome smaller groups of teachers and students each weekday afternoon when the museum is open to all visitors.
Discover how inventors, innovators and artists have used light and shadow, time and movement, colour and sound over time to tell stories and celebrate the wonder of the moving image. Our exhibition acknowledges First Peoples’ ongoing contribution to culture and storytelling, while also foregrounding new perspectives and Australian creativity and innovation.
Each student will receive the Lens, a free take-home device that lets them collect artworks and objects as well as their interactive experiences. Later at home or at school, they can delve deeper into the stories and ideas behind the things they have collected.
COVID-safe visit guidelines
We’re following advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer about how to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Here are some of the measures we have in place – things that you can do – to keep our staff and visitors safe:
- Book your timed visit online in advance. Due to current regulations, we are unable to allow access to schools who have not booked ahead.
- Arrive at our Flinders Street entrance on the day of your booking and meet our staff at the Green Flag marked School meeting point.
- On arrival, scan the QR code for contact tracing purposes
- Maintain at least 1.5m distance between yourself and others
- Wear a mask when you cannot maintain 1.5m distance from others